A latest collection of vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free recipes by the proprietor of BabyCakes NYC and BabyCakes in Los Angeles features revised versions of classic favorites, including gingerbread pancakes, honey buns and German chocolate cake.
Title: Babycakes Covers the Classics
Author: McKenna, Erin/ Donne, Tara (PHT)
Publisher: Random House Inc
Publication Date: 2011/04/12
Number of Pages: 144
Binding Type: HARDCOVER
Library of Congress: 2010025330
For those with food sensitivities, these desserts have remained a distant dream—until now.
Following her widely adored debut cookbook with this delectable and extensive new collection, Erin McKenna, celebrated baker and proprietress of BabyCakes NYC in New York and Los Angeles, satisfies all your food fantasies with fifty recipes for perennial favorites—all created without gluten, dairy, eggs, or refined sugar.
In addition to its important primer on key ingredients and easy substitutions, BabyCakes Covers the Classics includes a section filled with Erin’s insightful solutions to frequently asked questions, which will lead you to newfound baking glory. As for the goods themselves, prepare for untold hours of refreshingly simple and undeniably delicious recipes adapted from the ones that sprinkled our collective childhoods. They include:
Chocolate Chip Waffles
Square-Pan Tomato Pizza
Six-Layer Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Preserves
Five variations of BabyCakes NYC’s famous donuts
& many more . . .
BabyCakes Covers the Classics is filled with timeless sweet and savory temptations that vegans, celiacs, and the health-minded can safely indulge in. Erin shows people of all stripes how to take control of a vegan, gluten-free pantry, and she proves that once you do, there are no limitations to what you can bake.
Featured Recipe: Thin Mints
Makes: 30 Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup melted refined coconut oil or canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan gluten-free chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons mint extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, arrowroot, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt. Add the coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla and mix with a rubber spatula until a thick dough forms. 3. Meanwhile, combine the chocolate chips and mint extract in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir until the chips are just melted. Do not overcook. Remove from the heat. Dunk the top of each cookie into the melted chocolate and place in a single layer on a platter. Refrigerate the cookies for 30 minutes, or until the chocolate sets.